Hi friends How are you all? I hope you all are in the best of your health. A loads of questions arise before choosing a professional course for our future. So in this post we will answer every question which comes into a student’s mind before opting (CS) Company Secretary course. The first question that comes into mind is How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th
So today First of all we are talking about What is a company secretary? What are the roles and responsibilities of a CS? What should be done to become a Company Secretary? stages to become a CS? How to apply for CS ? How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th?
Full Form Of CS – Company Secretary
What is a Company Secretary?
A Company Secretary is a senior position in a private sector company or public sector organisation. Hence, The Company Secretary is responsible for the efficient administration of a company. particularly with regard to ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and for ensuring that decisions of the board of directors are implemented.
A Qualified Company Secretary is:
- An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the company.
- An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance.
- Chief adviser to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance.
- Responsible for all regulatory compliance of company.
- Corporate planner and strategic manager
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of a CS?
In India , A Company Secretary is the senior position placed at the topmost level above all of an organization’s hierarchy. How to become a company secretary after 12th and what responsibilities does a CS need to perform?
Roles and Responsibilities of a Company Secretary:-
- Co-ordinate with the Board of Directors Independent Directors, Top Management, Registrar and Transfer Agents (RTA), stock exchanges , shareholders
- File Documents with Registrar of companies
- Ensure documentary requirements as per Companies Act
- Organize, prepare agendas, hold general meetings and record minutes
- Manage shareholder meetings
- Statutory Books and Registrars
- Be a linking factor for directors, shareholders, and regulatory authorities
- Filing corporate returns
- Ensure proper compliance and execution of contracts and agreements
- Specialized services as required by the directors
- Proper payment of dividend and interest
- Appropriate drafting and execution of agreements, contracts and resolutions
What should be done to become a CS?
Now the question arises, How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th? Career as a Company Secretary is not only financially rewarding but also carries with it a high level of job satisfaction. So,There are 3 stages in Company Secretary Course i.e , Foundation , Executive, and Professional. So if you want to become CS, you should complete these 3 stages. Total Company Secretary course is of 4 years.
Stages to become a company secretary:
- How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th? The student who would like to join the Course after 12th or equivalent has to undergo three stages to become a Company Secretary.
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
2. While,The students who would like to join the Course after Graduation has to undergo two stages to become a Company Secretary.
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
so, Foundation Programme can be pursued by 12th pass candidate or equivalent students of Arts, Science or Commerce Stream.(Excluding Fine Arts)
Executive Programme can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
Professional Programme can be pursued only after clearing the Executive programme of CS course.
Please note that before proceeding for online registration, you need to have the soft copy of the following documents:
- Photograph of the candidate
- Signature of the candidate
- DOB Certificate (10th Pass Certificate)
- Roll Number (if appearing in Final Year of Graduation)
- Qualification certificate or marksheet
- Category certificate (if belonging to SC/ST or physically handicapped category)
The documents that are to be uploaded must be in the following formats only. otherwise you will not be able to upload the documents
- Image file format is .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .bmp, .pdf
- File sizes of documents does not exceed 2 mb
- Size of student photo is between 20KB – KB
- Size of student signature is between 10KB – 20KB
How to register for CS Foundation/ Executive?
- Logon to www.icsi.edu and click on the Online Services tab.
- Click on the students tab and then click on student registration.
- Click on the checklist of documents as applicable to you on the basis of your Qualification. The documents that may be required are Photograph of the candidate, signature of the candidate , DOB certificate (10th pass certificate), Roll no. (if appearing), 12th pass certificate/ marksheet, Qualification certificate (if availing exemption for higher education), Category certificate (if belonging to SC/ST or physically handicapped category).
- Now click proceed to registration.
- Select the course type as applicable to you i.e. CS Foundation or CS Executive.
- Fill in the other required fields.
- Click on the Option Make Payment. The payment can be made through Credit/ Debit /net banking or through the bank challan system.
On completion of the above mentioned steps for registration . you will subsequently receive the username and password on your email within 24 hours of making the payment.
After the username and password has been received. The candidate is required to upload all documents on the link sent on your mailbox.
How to register for CS Professional?
- Logon to Online Services on www.icsi.edu
- Click student and than click My Account
- Click Professional Registration under Payment Request
- Upload Pass Marksheet of both Modules of Executive Programme
- Make payment of Rs.12000 through Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking
- For all successful payments, an acknowledgement receipt generates. In case the receipt is not generated , Click student > My Account >Payment Request > Generate Payment Receipt.
- Enter your Request Id and Transaction Id and click on check status , If the payment is successfully made, then the receipt will generate.
- Consequently, You are now registered for the Professional programme.
How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th ? Candidates must fulfil the following criteria for appearing for the Foundation examination.
- Candidates must have passed Senior Secondary examination of a Board constituted by Indian Law or recognized by the Central Government to be eligible to appear for Foundation exam
- Admission is open throughout the year by applying for the registration together with the documents required in support of date of birth and educational qualification.
- Duration of Foundation Programme is 8 months,. The candidates are required to pass the Foundation examination within 3 years from the date of their admission.
Subjects under the Foundation Programme:
There are 4 subjects involved in the study of Foundation Programme namely the following:
- BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT AND LAW
- BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, ETHICS & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- BUSINESS ECONOMICS
- FUNDAMENTALS OF ACCOUNTING AND AUDITING
The eligible candidate for CS Executive can pursue it, only after clearing the Foundation Program on any Graduation with any Background of specialization. The candidate must not be under the age of 17. The Executive program is divided into 2 modules and the total duration of the programme is 9 months.
Subjects under the Executive Programme:
The programme is divided into 2 modules, the total number of subjects are 8, each module consists of 4 subjects namely the following :
- JURISPRUDENCE, INTERPRETATION & GENERAL LAWS
- COMPANY LAW
- SETTING UP OF BUSINESS ENTITIES AND CLOSURE
- TAX LAWS
- CORPORATE & MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING
- SECURITIES LAWS & CAPITAL MARKETS
- ECONOMIC, BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL LAWS
- FINANCIAL AND STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
Important dates for the CS Executive Programme:
- 28th February for appearing in both Modules in December Exams in the same year
- 31st May for appearing in single module in December Examination in the same year
- 31st August for appearing in both modules in June Exam in the next year
- 30th November for appearing in the single module in June Examination in the next year
The eligible candidate for CS Professional Programme can pursue it, only after clearing the Executive Programme of CS Course.The Professional program is divided into 3 modules and the total duration of the programme is 10 months.
Subjects under the Professional Programme:
The programme is divided into 3 modules. The subjects involved ae mentioned below according to their respective modules:
- GOVERNANCE, RISK MANAGEMENT, COMPLIANCES AND ETHICS
- ADVANCED TAX LAWS
- DRAFTING, PLEADINGS AND APPEARANCES
- SECRETARIAL AUDIT
- CORPORATE RESTRUCTURING
- RESOLUTION OF CORPORATE DISPUTES
- CORPORATE FUNDING & LISTINGS IN STOCK EXCHANGES
- MULTIDISCIPLINARY CASE STUDIES
- ELECTIVES 1 OUT OF BELOW 8 SUBJECTS (The examination for this paper will be open book examination)
3.1. Banking Law and Practices
3.2. Insurance Law and Practice
3.3. Intellectual Property Rights- law and practices
3.4. Forensic Audit
3.5. Direct Tax Law & Practice
3.6. Labour Laws & Practice
3.7. Valuations & Business Modelling
3.8. Insolvency- Law & Practice
Fee structure of the CS Course
The fee structure of the CS course differs with the change in programme as the fee for different programmes is different. You have to register for the particular programme with different course fee. Students belonging to SC/ST Category are required to pay only 50% of the registration Fee and Examination Fee as applicable to the students under General Category
CS Foundation Programme
The registration fee for the CS Foundation Programme is Rs. 4,500/-
For physically Handicapped students , only registration fee will be charged. and at present registration fee is Rs.1500/-
For the students belonging to SC/ST , the registration fee will be the 50% of the fee applicable to general candidates i.e. Rs.2,250/-
CS Executive Programme
The registration fee for the CS Executive Programme is as follows:
- Rs. 9,000/- for commerce graduates
- Rs. 12,500/- for CPT pass of ICAI/ Foundation pass of ICAI-CMA
- Rs. 10,000/- for Non Commerce students
- Rs. 8,500/- for CS Foundation pass students
For physically Handicapped students, only registration fee will be charge. and at present registration fee is Rs.2000/-
For the students belonging to SC/ST , the registration fee will be the 50% of the fee applicable to general candidates i.e.
- Commerce students- Rs.4,500/-
- Non commerce students- Rs.5,000/-
CS Professional Programme
The registration fee for the CS Professional Programme is Rs. 12,000/-
For physically Handicapped students , only registration fee will be charged. and at present registration fee is NIL.
For the students belonging to SC/ST , the registration fee will be the 50% of the fee applicable to general candidates i.e. Rs.6,000/-
Examination or Enrolment Fee
- Foundation Programme – Rs.1,200/-
- Executive Programme – Rs.1,200/- per module
- Professional Programme – Rs.1,200/- per module
with Rs.250/- submission after the last date
For physically Handicapped students, 25% of the fee applicable to the general students.
For the students belonging to SC/ST , 50% of the fee applicable to the general students.
The last date of submission of application for appearing in the examination
- 25th March for the June attempt (with late fee of Rs.250/- till 9th April)
- 25th September for the December attempt (with late fee of Rs.250/– till 10th October)
What are the Job opportunities for CS course?
A Company Secretary has numerous Job Opportunities after the completion of CS Course. As a company secretary, a fresher can get a minimum salary estimating Rs.3 lakh to Rs.5 lakh per annum. The following are the job opportunities for a company secretary.
- Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- Legal, Secretarial and Corporate Governance
- Project Planning
- Capital Market and Investor Relations
- Corporate Advisory Services
- Corporate Restructuring
What does a CS certificate holder can pursue?
- Assistant Manager
- Bank and Building Societies
- Employer’s cooperatives
- Housing Associations
- Insurance companies
- Investment sectors
- Trade Bodies
In this post we hope that you are clear with the questions relating to CS as How to become Company secretary (CS) after 12th ? Now you can relate your queries with the questions answered in the post. For more posts like this and for feedback please do comment.